Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Countdown Begins...

...

2nd to last day sleeping in the Toga house
1 week and a day until Tech (2 weeks and a day until Opening Night) of Cabaret
<>

Life has been treating me okay. Things are worse, things are better, the ebb and flow of all the positives and the negatives make life interesting. There was a pretty rough week and half, and then spring break happened right on cue.

Spring break has been lots of packing (or avoidance of packing). My poor mother has had to do so much of the packing herself. My sister, too, spent her week back from LA packing and providing manual labor for my mother. We are mostly packed, but it's never really going to be done. In the last couple of days we've packed, packed, rearranged furniture, staged the house, steamed the carpets, and soon we will have agents/brokers previewing the house on Saturday, to be listed on Monday. This has happened all too quickly. It hit me two days ago that we were down to the final days of living in Saratoga.

I have had my issues with Saratoga; I still do. But that doesn't change the fact that I have woken up in this house almost every day from 3rd grade to 12th grade. And even as I began to refer to my Berkeley apartment as "home", "home" was still really this enormous house in Saratoga.

The house is now almost empty of our things, only furniture remains. Most of the decorations aren't even ours. A stager brought them in to make our house look more presentable. Even though I don't agree with all of her choices, the house does look beautiful, just like every single house you've ever seen on sale. Just don't look in the garage. All of the furniture not used in the house and all of the packed boxes are stuffed into the garage, and the cars got moved outside.

The Cupertino house isn't finished yet, but we will move the instant it is done. April 7th, they say. Right, we reply. It is smaller, but remodeled, and will be much cozier than the Saratoga house.

Thanks, Mommy, for taking care of EVERYTHING and packing the majority of the house. I had enough trouble packing my own room.

Next time, graduation. For now, taking my sister to the airport.

No comments: